DEPARTMENT OF FOOD PROCESSING
B.Voc. Food Processing is a three year Degree program under Gauhati University sponsored by UGC. Food processing consists of qualification packs which are offered by National skills Qualifications Frameworks (NAQF). Food Processing is the conversion of agricultural product to substances which have particular textural, sensory and nutritional properties using commercially feasible methods. Food Processing Industry is one of the major employment intensive segments and also generates the awareness towards the food safety.
The Food Processing programme is divided into six semester having 180 credits. Each semester have courses based on General Education Components and Skill Development Components. Food processing courses will be devoted to Laboratory Work / Project / Industrial Training / In-Plant Internship etc. This programme offers General Education Components which includes Communication Skill, Computer Fundamental, Environment Science, Personality Development, Economics & Management etc. whereas Skill Development Components includes Food Chemistry, Biochemistry, Microbiology and Biotechnology, Human Nutrition, Processing Technology, Food Analysis, Food Safety, Regulations and Quality Management, Special Implant Training, Seminar and Project etc.
The department of Food Processing (Agri) was established in 2018 under the guidance of Dr. Lila kanta Barthakur, Principal, Morigaon College and coordinated by Mr. Jagat Chandra Saikia, Associate Prof. and Head, Department of Botany with Mrs. Sangeeta Gope, Assistant Prof., and Department of Food Processing. The three year B. Voc degree course in Food Processing (Agri) is started from session 2018-2019. It is the first Vocational degree course started in Morigaon district which gives skill based education to the students..
Food processing is a contemporary exercise that develops efficiency and improves promotion of the food products. This course is based on developing set of methods and techniques which can be used to transform raw materials into nutritious and safe food for consumption. Despite the fact that food processing industry in India is at developing stage, it offers exponential career opportunities to train professionals in food processing. The curriculum has been designed to include general education and skill development components, having extensive practical and on job trainings along with regular industrial visits so that they can be easily absorbed in Food Industry or become Entrepreneurs. The skill component of the B. Voc. curriculum is based on qualification pack (QP) given by National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC).
For the QP of the skill component, Click in the following link www.nsdcindia.org/nos
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs) of the programme of B. Voc in Food Processing are as follows:
· To provide judicious mix of skills relating to a profession and appropriate content of general education.
· To ensure that students have adequate knowledge and skills at each exit point of the programme.
· To provide flexibility to the students by means of pre-defined entry and multiple exit points.
· To integrate NSQF within the undergraduate level of higher education in order to enhance employability of the graduates and meet industry requirements.
· To provide vertical mobility to students coming out of 10+2 with vocational subjects.
· Vocational Education is an education that prepares the students for specific job role in various sectors in food processing industries and Professional organization. It trains the students from a trade, technician or professional position in R & D organizations for specific job roles.
· Students with vocational training can find work in several state and central government organizations, non-profit groups, and academic institutions and in private sectors as well.
· This program would enable students to update their knowledge and professional skills for entering the work force executing income generating activities or occupying better positions
· Apply knowledge of general education subjects and skill development subjects to the conceptualization of food processing technologies.
· Designing and formulation of new food products, on the basis of consumers demands, development of methodology/technologies of food processing, design that meet solutions needs with appropriate consideration for public health and safety, cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
· Conduct and undertake investigations of problems of including design of processing technology for various types of food, food analysis, food quality and safety aspects and interpretation of data in order to provide valid conclusions.
· Create, select and apply appropriate processing technology/techniques, resources, modern processing tools in order to improve the quality, safety and the shelf life fresh and process food.
· Demonstrate understanding of the social, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to food processing.
With aptitude to work and requisite skills one can find employment as:
· Research Scientists: Research scientists work towards enhancing yield, flavour, nutritive value, etc. of packaged food so that they have greater acceptance among consumers.
· Food technologists: The fundamental work of food technologist is to offer techniques for preservation, conservation and processing of food items to be packaged.
· Organic Chemists: to ensure that there is proper method to convert raw materials to processed food.
· Biochemists: Looking after the flavor, texture, storage, quality of packaged food products
· Analytical Chemists: Working as quality analyst and checker, analytical chemists ensure prime quality packaging of foods and beverages.
· Home Economists: Ensuring congruency of the instructions on the containers and the food products contained in it is the job of home economists.
· Managers: Besides technical professionals, non-technical jobs such as managers work towards the management of the processing unit and in the supervision of the production process.
Course Offer: B.Voc.
No. of Seats Available: 50
The eligibility condition for admission to B.Voc. Programme is 10+2 pass with at least 50% marks (45% for SC/ ST) in any stream.
The certification levels shall lead to Diploma/Advanced Diploma/ B. Voc. Degree in Food processing.
Activities of the department (internship/ industrial tour etc.):
As per demand of our curriculum, Department arrange internship (15 to 30 days) for the students and one industrial tour per semester. Industrial visits offer a great source to gain practical knowledge. Students can observe and learn as to how theoretical concepts are put into action, thereby aiding their practical learning. Students are exposed to real working environment and shown how things are done in an organization.
Exhibition/seminar/popular talk/training among students:
Department organize class seminar on regular basis among the students. Students are encouraged to participate in different workshops, popular talks, different competitive examinations and training programmes. Information regarding any of the above mentioned activities is shared in the departmental whatsapp group.
Best practices of the department:
i) To implement a simplified version of education this is easily understood by students and able to apply in their day to day life.
ii) To give facility to the student for hands-on experiences.
iii) Regular training & placement to make students employable.
i) Establishment of a system in which industry are requested to conduct placement for the students.
ii) Introduction of PG classes.
iii) To arrange special classes for competitive examinations.
iv) To organize workshops/seminars for teachers as well as students.
v) To collaborate with other institutions and industry for exchange of practical knowledge.
vi) To have a well equipped laboratory.